History of Holyoke's Churches
Parish of Our Lady
Of Perpetual Help
The Parish of Our Lady of Perpetual Help was founded in 1890. Its first pastor was Rev. C.E. Bruneault. He was a man of fine attainments, great energy and sound ideas. He gathered his people for worship in Temperance Hall for the first time May 25, 1890. Immediately he planned a building to serve as a church, school and convent. It was completed in 1891, and ever since it has been a home of much work, well done for God and for country, for Father Bruneault had a personality and an eloquence which enabled him to to inspire his people to act nobly while they labored for eternity. In 1896 Father Bruneault remodeled the "McCoy homestead" into a commodious rectory. He also provided in South Hadley Fall a resting place for the dead of the parish. He left Holyoke, October 5, 1904, and went to Canada to labor in the diocese of his brothers, the bishop of Nicolet.
Church of Our Lady of Perpetual Help
His successor in the Church of Perpetual Help is Rev. Joseph Marchand. Father Marchand has the qualities of a leader. Under his careful management the parish has steadily advanced. It is one of the important forces of the moral life of the community. The curates who have served the Church of Perpetual Help are: Rev. W.A. Alexander, Rev. N. St. Cyr, Rev. L. Geoffroi, Rev. J.B. Delage, and Rev. C.E. Lussier.
Rev. Joseph Marchand
The parish school is under the care of eighteen Sisters of the Presentation. It is attended by 423 children.
© Laurel O'Donnell 1996 - 2005, all rights reserved
This document may be downloaded for personal non-commercial use only
and should not be reproduced or distributed without permission.